A prospective study on the efficacy of octreotide in the management of malignant bowel obstruction in gynecologic cancer

Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2012 May;22(4):692-6.
Watari H, Hosaka M, Wakui Y, Nomura E, Hareyama H, Tanuma F, Hattori R, Azuma M, Kato H, Takeda N, Ariga S, Sakuragi N.
Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2012 May;22(4):692-6.
Una dose di 300μg/die di octreotide è stata efficace in pazienti giapponesi con occlusione intestinale maligna (MBO) da cancro ginecologico avanzato.
Octreotide (300μg/die)/occlusione intestinale maligna da cancro ginecologico avanzato.

Malignant bowel obstruction (MBO), of which symptoms lead to a poor quality of life, is a common and distressing clinical complication in advanced gynecologic cancer. The aim of this study was to prospectively assess the clinical efficacy of octreotide to control vomiting in patients with advanced gynecologic cancer with inoperable gastrointestinal obstruction.
Patients with advanced gynecologic cancer, who presented at least one episode of vomiting per day due to MBO, were enrolled in this prospective study from 2006 to 2009. Octreotide was administered when necessary at doses starting with 300 μg up to 600 μg a day by continuous infusion for 2 weeks. Primary end point was vomiting control, which was evaluated by common terminology criteria for adverse events version 3 (CTCAE v3.0). Adverse events were also evaluated by CTCAE v3.0.
Twenty-two cases were enrolled in this study. Octreotide controlled vomiting in 15 cases (68.2%) to grade 0 and 3 cases (13.6%) to grade 1 on CTCAE v3.0. Overall response rate to octreotide reatment was 81.8% in our patients' cohort. Among 14 cases without nasogastric tube, the overall response rate was 93.1% (13/14). Among 8 cases with nasogastric tube, 4 cases were free of tube with decrease of drainage, and overall response rate was 62.5% (5/8). No major adverse events related to octreotide were reported.
We conclude that 300-μg/d dose of octreotide was effective and safe for Japanese patients with MBO by advanced gynecologic cancer. Octreotide could contribute to better quality of life by avoiding placement of nasogastric tube.